Thursday 24 November 2011

My Favourite Early Morning Pre-Workout Meal

I often split my 6am morning routines up into one day cardio, one day strength and conditioning. I generally do my cardio on an empty stomach for 60-90 minutes consuming only BCAA's after I hit the 20 minute mark. This allows me to tap into my fat stores quickly while minimizing the breakdown of muscle.

On my strength and conditioning days pre-workout nutrition is very important and can be a bit strained unless I want to get up very early (which I don't!). One of my favourite pre-workout meals when in a rush is the following oatmeal recipe:

1/2 cup Quick Oats
1/2 scoop protein powder
1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of Lo Han Guo or Splenda

Basically I mix all ingredients together except the blueberries and yogurt then I microwave for 1 min, stir, then microwave for another minute. Once the oatmeal is fully cooked I add in the frozen blueberries and yogurt then eat! This meal takes about 5 minutes to make in total and is more than enough nutrition for a tough workout, but is easy on the stomach and can be eaten as little as 15-30 minutes before a workout. This meal contains a great balance of nutrients such as slow acting carbs and protein to not only kickstart your metabolism, but also to keep you full of energy for your workout while keeping you anabolic until you can get a bigger meal later on. I will also often take a pre-workout supplement such as Jack3D to give me that morning kick I need to get going.

Nutritional Information:

258 Calories
30g Protein
30g Carbs (only about 6g sugar)
2g Fats

No comments:

Post a Comment